CONTEXT: The present study assessed the profiles of psychological needs of the male and female college students of Ateneo de Naga University for the school year 1998-1999. It tried to investigate, evaluate and compare the profiles of the psychological needs of the college students by gender and by level.
OBJECTIVES: The main purpose of this study is to generate factual and baseline information on the psychological needs of students which could help guidance counselors, teachers and school administrators in conceptualizing school programs and initiate activities that will address the appraised needs of college students.
STUDY DESIGN: Descriptive Method, Edward Personal Preference Schedules (EPPS), ANOVA and Scheffe' Comparison Procedure
STUDY SETTING: Ateneo de Naga University, Naga City, Philippines, 1998-1999
STUDY POPULATION: The sample of this study are the 1,131 college students, composed of 451 males and 680 females. This represents the 20% of the 5,656 total population of the entire college department of Ateneo de Naga University for the first semester of academic year 1998-1999.
RESULTS: Four psychological need variables were identified in male college students where the group mean of one (or more) of the four year levels are significantly larger than the other year levels. These needs are: Intraception, Dominance, Abasement and Endurance. Whereas for the female college students, six psychological need variables were identified, as follows: Achievement, Exhibition, Succorance, Dominance, Heterosexuality and Aggression.
LIMITATIONS: Inasmuch as this study was conducted to the college students of Ateneo de Naga University whose lives are influenced by the Ateneo and Bicol culture, findings of this study will be specific to the psychological needs of the college students of this school and may not reflect the psychological needs of students of other learning institutions. The psychological needs assessed in this study are limited to the fifteen psychological need variables being measured by the Edwards Personal Preference Schedule and will not look into the causes of the students' psychological needs.
CONCLUSION: There are signifiicant differences in the psychological need profiles of college students when grouped according to year level and gender.
The main purpose of this study is to generate factual and baseline information on the psychological needs of students which could help guidance counselors, teachers and school administrators in conceptualizing school programs and initiate activities that will address the appraised needs of college students.
This study is likewise carried out to strengthen the existing guidance program making it more responsive to the needs of its clientele, the college students.
1. Ary, Donald . Introduction to Research in Education New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1979. p.297.
2. Aquino, Gaudencio V., Miranda, Norma C.. Introduction to Psychology Manila: National Bookstore, Inc., 1991. p.282-284.
3. Carlson, Neil R.. Psychology, The Science of Behavior. (3rd Edition) USA: Allyn and Bacon, A Division of Simon and Schuster, Inc., 1990. p.400-560.
4. Chodorow, N. . The Reproduction of Mothering Psychoanalysis and the Sociology of Gender Berkeley: University of California Press, 1978.
5. Cloringer, Susan C.. Theories of Personality: Understanding Persons. (2nd Edition) Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, Inc., 1978.
6. Allen, Roberts . "Edwards Personality Preference Schedule Inter-Correlations for Two Groups" The Psychological Research volume 7, pp.87-91, 1957